CAN Vacancy: Health & Safety Manager
Location: Chesterfield, Derbyshire S41
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Established in 1983, now employing over 200 staff and with a turnover in excess of £18m, CAN is a specialist civil engineering contractor, delivering projects across the UK.
CAN provides innovative solutions to both challenging ground engineering projects and complex building projects at height within all aspects of the construction and civil engineering markets. CAN is part of the RSK Group which projects a turnover of £300m this year.
We are looking for a Health & Safety Manager to join us, based at our head office on the northern edge of Chesterfield, Derbyshire.
CAN is unique in many of the ways it operates, we work differently – we’re quick to react and flexible in our approach to solving problems, safety however always remains our highest priority. If you don’t compromise when it comes to safety, are meticulous and conscientious, look for solutions and how to improve processes then please read on:
- Responsible for driving a positive safety culture and best practice across the company and a range of construction projects. Keep people safe.
- Manage, advise and guide on all health, safety and environmental matters, keeping the business up to date with health and safety arrangements, policy, best practice and issues as they arise. Ensure we are compliant.
- Undertake site, office and depot audits and implement corrective action as required.
- Based in Chesterfield with regular visits to satellite offices and sites around the UK.
Experience, attributes and skills required:
- Degree level or equivalent. Minimum of NEBOSH National Certificate in Construction Health & Safety and preferably membership of IOSH.
- 10 years H&S experience within the construction/rail/highways industry.
- Experience of Rope Access useful but not essential as are CSCS, PTS and Confined Spaces certificates.
- Comprehensive knowledge of health, safety and environmental legislation and best practice.
- Understanding of construction and other building processes, equipment and plant.
- Effective communication skills, both written and verbal. Report writing ability essential.
- Good attention to detail with an analytical and pragmatic approach.
- Ability to engage and work with people at all levels both within the company and our clients.
- An open mind – we don’t expect to find a candidate who knows all there is to know about what we do but we want a candidate who is keen to learn. Our current Health and Safety Manager (of 20+ years) will be on hand to support you until their retirement in early 2020.
- Full UK driving licence.
- Company car.
- Life Assurance.
- Auto enrolment pension.
- Leading specialist Geotechnical and Structures contractor in the country.
- Owned by RSK, a rapidly expanding geoenvironmental consultancy and contractor, which projects a turnover of £300m this year.
- CAN is Investors in People accredited, You will be encouraged to develop professionally with a personal training programme.
- We are a friendly, professional, vibrant company with an excellent team spirit.
Why Choose Us?
We pride ourselves on the quality of our people and the projects we deliver. We are committed to staff development and career opportunities and as such this role is suitable for a committed individual who is seeking a long term future with us.
Interested in applying for the position?
To apply please e-mail your CV together with a covering letter to Hazel.Farnell@can.ltd.uk
We look forward to speaking with you soon.